Looking For Food, Water In Greater Houston? Here’s A List (Saturday, Feb. 20) – Houston Public Media
Power is back for nearly all Houston-area residents. Centerpoint Energy is reporting that 99.98% of local customers have service after fixing isolated outages yesterday.
But even as temperatures rise today, Houston is still not out of the woods.
The majority of Harris County is still under a boil water advisory and residents are being told to conserve electricity use.
Below is a list of free resources in Harris, Fort Bend, Montgomery and Galveston counties to help you or someone you know get through the weekend.
- Houston Food Bank Partners – call ahead to confirm they’re open.
- Church At The Cross 3835 S Dairy Ashford Road, Westchase. Opened at 8:30 a.m. Free water and food
- West Houston Assistance Ministries, 10501 Meadowglen Lane, Westchase. Opened at 9 a.m. Free water and food
- Wisdom High School, 6529 Beverly Hill St, Mid-west. Open 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. Free meals for 1,000 people via food truck
- Sylvan R. Rodriguez Elementary, 5858 Chimney Rock Dr., Gulfton. Open 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. Free meals for 1,000 people via food truck
- Ashford Elementary, 1815 Shannon Valley Dr, Briarforest. Open 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. Free meals for 1,000 people via food truck
- 8921 Pagewood Ln, Mid-west. Open 3 p.m. Free food and water
- Jersey Mikes, 7670 Katy Freeway, Spring Branch. Open now until 9 p.m. Hot meals for 300 people
- Jimmy Changas, 3090 Westgreen Boulevard, Katy. Open 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Hot meals for 300 people
- Rollin’ Phatties, 1731 Westheimer Road, Montrose. Open Noon-Midnight. Hot meals for 375 people
- The Breakfast Klub, 3711 Travis St., Midtown. Free meals for 200 people
- Fallbrook Church, 12512 Walters Road, Meyer Park. Opens at Noon. Free water
- On Da House Tapioca, 9405 S. Texas 6, Alief. Open 2 p.m.-4 p.m. Free meals
- Astros Youth Academy, 2801 S. Victory Drive, Inwood Pines. Open 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Free water (limit 2 cases per car)
- New Light Church-LOVE City USA, 7317 E. Houston Road, Trinity/Houston Gardens. Opened at 9:30 a.m. Free bottled water
- 6603 Hirsch Road, Trinity/Houston Gardens. Opens at Noon. Free food, water and supplies
- St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church, 13125 Indianapolis St., Cloverleaf, 24/7, Free groceries
- Grayson Community Center, 13828 Corpus Christi St., Cloverleaf. Opened at 10 a.m. Free food
- Precinct 2 non-potable water sites, Open now until 5p.m. Five gallon limit (bring container such as water/milk jugs, ice chests, bucketsv):
- Sylvan Beach Park: 636 N Bayshore Dr., La Porte
- Clear Lake Park, 5001 NASA Pkwy, Seabrook
- Jim & Joann Fonteno Park, 14350 1/2 Wallisville Rd., Wood Forest
- Bill Crowley Park, 5100 Lauder Rd., East Aldine
- Crosby Community Center, 409 Hare Rd., Crosby
- Riley Community Center, 808 1/2 Magnolia Ave., Crosby
- Leonel J. Castillo Community Center, 2101 South St, Northside Village.
- North Shore Rotary Park, 14000 Force St, North Shore.
- Precinct 4 non-potable water sites, Open Noon-5 p.m., 10 gallon limit (bring container):
- Levy Park, 3801 Eastside St., Upper Kirby
Fort Bend County
- Fort Bend County Food & Water Distribution, 910 Brand Lane, Stafford. Open 9 a.m.-Noon. Free food and water
- Montgomery Food Bank Partners – call ahead to confirm they’re open.
- East Texas Dream Center, 26373 E. Holly Lane, Splendora. Open 10 a.m. Free food
- Magnolia Cowboy Church, 23245 Glenmont Estates Boulevard, Magnolia. Opened at 9 a.m. Free water
- Magnolia City Hall, 18111 Buddy Riley Boulevard, Magnolia. Opened at 9 a.m. Free water
- Hometown Heroes Park, 1001 E. League City Parkway, League City. Opened at 9 a.m. One case of water per vehicle
For Houstonians who can’t afford supplies, Mutual Aid Houston is offering financial assistance of $100 to anyone in immediate need of food and water. To apply, keep checking the group’s online form as it becomes available.
Crowdsource Rescue is getting supplies to vulnerable populations that have transportation challenges like seniors and people with disabilities. They’re doing wellness checks and delivering water, food, space heaters and other supplies.
Store updates and hours of operation for HEB, Central Market, Kroger, Walmart and Walgreens can be found on ReadyHarris.org under “Looking for Supplies?” Public officials are recommending Houstonians try smaller grocery stores, as they might have short lines. A crowdsourced list of Houston businesses has circulated, but check with the location for hours of operations and supplies before traveling. Rolling information on free food and water events is also being crowdsourced on this spreadsheet.
How To Volunteer
Houston Food Bank is looking for volunteers at its sites, and canned donations. Kids Meals Inc. is also seeking volunteers and contributions. Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center said it is in dire need of blood donations. There is an emergency blood drive at NRG Park. Appointments are preferred, and masks are required. CrowdSource Rescue is also seeking volunteers, and Say Her Name TX is looking for volunteers and donations.
Subscribe to Today in Houston
Fill out the form below to subscribe our new daily editorial newsletter from the HPM Newsroom.
Published at Sat, 20 Feb 2021 16:30:54 +0000