10 Best Places to Buy Shoes & Sneakers Online (at Discounted Prices)
Footwear isn’t just a fashion statement. Shoes should provide comfort, support, and even protection, depending on the type of job or hobbies you have.
There’s also no denying that shoe and apparel shopping is satisfying in general. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2019, consumers spent nearly $1,900 on apparel and related services. If you’re prone to shopping sprees or have upgraded your wardrobe recently, you understand how easily expenses can rack up.
But if you’re trying to save money on a tight budget, shopping for shoes can cause dread rather than enjoyment. If you want to reduce your footwear expenses, one of the best strategies is to buy discount shoes online rather than shopping in a store.
Best Places to Buy Shoes Online
If you know your size and style, there’s no reason to pay full price for shoes ever again. Try one of these online stores instead.
- Price Range: Under $25 to $200 or more
- Return Policy: Return policies vary depending on the seller and whether you shop for used or renewed products through the Amazon Warehouse or buy new; in most cases, you can return Amazon products within 30 days of purchase
- Shipping: Free shipping for Prime members; shipping rates vary for non-Prime members based on their purchase and location
- Verdict: If you already enjoy Amazon’s ecosystem and are a Prime member or Amazon Rewards Visa Signature cardholder, shopping on Amazon for footwear is another way to benefit from your loyalty
It’s already easy to save money on Amazon if you take advantage of a Prime membership, the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card, and generally shop around to find low prices.
Shoes aren’t an exception. In fact, Amazon is one of the best options to buy discount shoes online if you shop through Amazon Warehouse.
Amazon Warehouse is a collection of refurbished and returned Amazon products available for resale. Products get returned all the time for multiple reasons, and warehouse products aren’t in bad shape. Different condition categories include:
- Used — acceptable
- Used — good
- Used — very good
- Used — like new
- Renewed (which means the product looks and works like new but might have repairs)
Used products have a 30-day return or replace policy, and renewed products have a 90-day return or replace policy. That means you can safely shop on Amazon’s Warehouse without buying ill-fitting shoes or styles you dislike.
Amazon Warehouse has plenty of footwear options, including brands like Fila, Skechers, Under Armour, Adidas, New Balance, and Ugg. Many shoes are in like-new condition, and you can usually find popular footwear brands for under $30. The Amazon Warehouse also has a clearance section where you can search for footwear discounts.
Amazon’s regular selection of footwear is also worth exploring. If you spend time deal hunting and take advantage of free shipping with a Prime membership, Amazon is one of the best places to buy discount shoes online.
- Price Range: $13.95 to $1,000 or more
- Return Policy: You have 60 days to make returns; exchanges are free; refunds to your original payment method cost $7.95
- Shipping: Free U.S. shipping on all orders
- Verdict: Shoes.com is one of the most affordable online footwear retailers if you shop using the discount shoe section or make use of coupons
It doesn’t matter if you’re shopping for sneakers, boots, or sandals: Shoes.com probably has what you’re looking for.
Shoes.com has an impressive inventory of shoes for men, women, and kids. You can shop for popular brands like Skechers, Birkenstock, Merrell, New Balance, and Clarks, to name a few. However, where Shoes.com truly shines is in its discount shoe section.
Seasonal and warehouse sales mean you can find shoes for up to 75% off. These are leading shoe brands, and there are enough inventory and size selections to give you options. If you don’t find a style you like, you can also use Shoes.com coupons to buy regularly priced shoes at a discount.
For more savings, you can join the Shoes.com rewards program. As a member, you earn one point for every $1 you spend, and 100 points equal a $5 reward. Plus, first-time members earn a $5 welcome bonus, making your first purchase at Shoes.com even cheaper. You also earn points for writing product reviews on Shoes.com. The only downside is that points expire within six months, so you have to spend them quickly.
U.S. shipping is free, and you get most orders within three to 10 business days. Shoes.com also ships internationally. You have up to 60 days to return your purchase if you’re unsatisfied. Returns must be unworn and include original tags and packaging. Shoes.com provides a prepaid shipping label for returns.
Between the range of discounts and a fair return policy, buying from Shoes.com is an economical yet fashionable choice.
- Price Range: $7 to $75 or more
- Return Policy: You have 30 days to make returns; customers are responsible for shipping charges
- Shipping: Free shipping on orders of at least two products or orders totaling $50 or more; standard shipping is $3.95 otherwise
- Verdict: Shop at 6pm if you want extensive brand selection and to take advantage of a well-stocked clearance section
Like Shoes.com, 6pm has a range of shoe options for adults and kids. Plus, the clearance section and overall brand variety is nothing to scoff at.
The retailer carries over 1,400 brands, many of which go on clearance for up to 80% off. Some of the most notable brands include:
- Cole Haan
- Michael Kors
Clearance aside, you can also find shoes and apparel for under $10.
If you order at least two products or spend $50 or more before tax, shipping is free. If you don’t meet these requirements, standard shipping is $3.95. This shipping policy isn’t as generous as Shoes.com, but your savings can make up for it.
Standard orders arrive within four to five business days. However, 6pm only ships within the United States. For returns, you have 30 days to return unworn shoes with the same tag and packaging. The company doesn’t provide prepaid shipping labels, which is another downside.
Despite slightly less favorable shipping and return policies, 6pm is still a reliable option for Americans who want to buy inexpensive shoes and accessories online.
- Price Range: $9.98 to $200 or more
- Return Policy: You have 90 days to make returns; return shipping costs $8.50; returns made within 60 days process to your original payment method, while returns made after 60 days refund as store credit; some loyalty club members have longer return windows and free return shipping
- Shipping: Shipping costs $7.95; loyalty club members get free shipping
- Verdict: Shop at DSW if you can take advantage of its VIP rewards program and want the flexibility to shop in-store or online to save on footwear
If you live in the U.S., there’s a solid chance you’ve shopped at Designer Shoe Warehouse, or DSW, for footwear. With over 500 stores and affordable prices, DSW is a convenient way to buy shoes in person.
But DSW also lets you shop online for footwear to save money. Its website offers hundreds of brands for adults and kids. Footwear brands include Adidas, Converse, Cole Haan, Nike, Asics, and Brooks. Additionally, with DSW’s acquisition of footwear design company Camuto Group, private-label brands are also in the works.
Whether you shop for private-label DSW shoes or name-brand shoes, DSW helps you save money. The online clearance section has thousands of shoes to choose from, and that’s just scratching the surface.
DSW has three tiers of VIP membership that also unlock more savings and perks:
- VIP Club: Free to join; earn 1 point for every $1 you spend; 100 points for a $5 reward; $5 birthday gift; free shipping and in-store returns
- VIP Gold: Requires $200 annual spending at DSW; same benefits as Club members, but you also get free online returns and two double-point days per year
- VIP Elite: Requires $500 annual spending at DSW; earn 2 points for every $1 you spend; $10 birthday gift; triple point day once per year whenever you choose; free two-day shipping and returns
If you shop with the DSW Visa credit card, you also receive 1 point for every $1 you spend anywhere outside DSW. VIP Club and Gold members earn 2 points for every $1 spent at DSW, and Elite members earn 3 points. Plus, if you spend $500 outside DSW within 90 days of your first purchase, you get a $25 bonus regardless of your VIP level. Note that you must join DSW’s VIP membership program to apply for the credit card.
The DSW Visa isn’t the most lucrative cash-back credit card. However, if you stack DSW Visa rewards with its clearance sales and VIP program, you can certainly save money on your annual footwear expenses.
- Price Range: $15 to $200 or more
- Return Policy: Free returns or exchanges for 365 days
- Shipping: Free shipping on all orders
- Verdict: Zappos’ generous return policy is useful if you’re an astute online shopper and want the flexibility to return or exchange footwear for free, and teachers, students, and military members should take advantage of the 10% discount
Zappos is an Amazon-owned apparel and footwear company, but it still operates independently and offers its own unique and affordable styles.
Zappos carries a variety of shoes for adults and kids. Top brands include Nike, Ugg, Vans, New Balance, and The North Face. On Zappos, filters help you shop by brand, color, occasion, material, and price.
What makes Zappos an excellent choice for buying shoes at low prices is its extensive sales section. There are thousands of shoes to choose from, and you can easily compare the sale price to the regular MSRP. Zappos also offers free shipping on all orders with no minimum purchase requirement.
Additionally, you can save money on your wardrobe by joining Zappos VIP, a free loyalty program that unlocks:
- Free expedited shipping
- 1 point for every $1 you spend, with 100 points equaling a $1 discount code for future purchases
- 5 points per day for logging in and 10 points for writing a review
- Bonus points on select brands during promotions
- 1 extra point for every $1 you spend after linking your Amazon Prime membership
If you’re a teacher, student, or military member, you also save 10% on Zappos. Military members unlock this discount for life, while students and teachers get a year-long discount.
Unfortunately, Zappos doesn’t ship internationally. However, you have 365 days to return your order as long as it’s unworn and still has original tags. This generous return policy makes Zappos a risk-free way to buy affordable shoes online.
- Price Range: $19.95 to $150 or more
- Return Policy: You have 30 days to make returns; returns cost $5 to ship
- Shipping: Free shipping on orders over $25; shipping costs $3 for orders under $25; Alaska and Hawaii shipping costs $30
- Verdict: OnlineShoes makes up for its lack of brands with competitive discounts and low prices, making it an excellent footwear choice if you aren’t incredibly brand-loyal
As the name suggests, OnlineShoes is a one-stop destination to buy shoes online. While the company also sells clothing, affordable footwear is still the focus.
You can save up to 60% by shopping for sales, and OnlineShoes carries classic shoes and new arrivals from brands like Sperry, Merrell, Keds, and Hush Puppies.
OnlineShoes ultimately keeps things simple by carrying only a dozen brands. That inevitably means it has less selection than websites like Shoes.com and 6pm. However, if you’re shopping for work boots or hiking boots, OnlineShoes is a particularly good choice due to its low prices. Plus, you can still find other footwear styles, provided you don’t mind the limited brand selection.
Free shipping for U.S. orders over $25 and a 30-day return policy also help you shop with confidence. Returns also process to your payment method rather than in-store credit.
If you’re OK with a limited number of brands and find a style you like, OnlineShoes is another way to buy affordable shoes online, especially if you find a 60%-off sale. If you’re immensely brand-loyal to a company OnlineShoes doesn’t carry, retailers like 6pm and Shoes.com are better alternatives.
- Price Range: Under $10 to $500
- Return Policy: You have 30 days to return footwear for store credit; shipping one return costs $4.95; shipping two to five returns costs $8.95; every extra five returns then costs an additional $8.95
- Shipping: Shipping costs $5.99 for your first order of the day; you can buy free shipping for 30 days for $5
- Verdict: Shop at Zulily if you can take time to wait for the right deal and aren’t in a rush to buy a new pair of footwear
While Zulily doesn’t exclusively sell shoes, it’s still an effective way to keep more money in your wallet when shopping for footwear and apparel.
Zulily is a flash sale website that sells apparel, toys, electronics, sports gear, books, and maternity wear. However, this diverse catalog doesn’t make Zulily feel cluttered. Its goal is to help you find sales and save.
Zulily has regular sales that are usually available for 72 hours. After you make a purchase, it waits until the sale ends to bulk order the inventory before shipping to you. This type of fulfillment process takes time, but buying in bulk lets Zulily save money and offer the best price possible. That’s why you can find many products for up to 70% off.
Shopping for shoes on Zulily is no exception. While most sales are for specific brands and styles, sales happen every day. If you regularly check for deals, you can find footwear that suits your needs without spending hundreds of dollars.
It’s worth noting that Zulily usually carries popular brands like Adidas, Hush Puppies, Asics, Reebok, and Puma. But the shoe section also has plenty of lesser-known brands and different categories.
Zulily ships to dozens of countries, and domestic shipping starts at $5.99. However, you can buy 30 days of free shipping for $5, and if you place multiple orders in a single day, you only pay shipping for the first order.
Consider the pros and cons of flash sale websites before placing an order. Ultimately, the best way to save money with Zulily is to shop often and keep an eye on sales. If you only shop for what you need, it’s another effective way to find affordable footwear.
8. Famous Footwear
- Price Range: Under $30 to $75 or more
- Return Policy: You have 60 to 90 days to make returns, depending on your rewards program level
- Shipping: Free shipping on orders of at least $75; orders under $75 cost $7.95 unless you’re a rewards program member
- Verdict: Famous Footwear has one of the best rewards programs and a competitive clearance section, making it an outstanding retailer for frequent shoe shoppers
Famous Footwear is a nationwide footwear retailer similar to DSW in terms of brands and pricing. With thousands of shoes for adults and kids, there’s no shortage of selection. Plus, like DSW, Famous Footwear carries dozens of name-brand shoes, like:
- New Balance
There’s no lack of shoe type either. Famous Footwear carries everything from dress shoes and heels to casual sneakers and boat shoes.
In terms of savings, Famous Footwear is also competitive. The company runs seasonal sales, and its clearance section has thousands of shoes, some up to 50% off. Parents can also find kids shoes for $29.99 and under.
Regular shipping is $7.95 on orders under $75. You have up to 60 days to return unworn shoes. In-store returns are free, but sending returns by mail costs $7.95.
If you plan to shop at Famous Footwear regularly, joining the Famously You Rewards program is also a smart financial move. You can join the program in stores or through the mobile app for Android or iOS. As a member, you unlock multiple perks, including:
- Reward Cash. Earn 1 point for every $1 you spend and get $5 in store credit for every 100 points. You can earn up to $250 per year in reward cash.
- Free Shipping. As a Famously You Rewards member, you always get free shipping.
- Birthday Rewards. Get $5 in reward cash on your birthday and earn double the points per dollar you spend during your birthday month.
- Extra Deals. Redeem a buy-one, get-one 50% off deal and an extra double-points day once per year.
- Member Deals. Members receive exclusive offers and discounts throughout the year, and you can stack reward cash with coupons or member-exclusive deals.
- Upgrade to Superstar. If you spend at least $200 in one year at Famous Footwear, your membership upgrades to Superstar. That lets you earn 50% more in reward cash, get a $10 birthday reward, and redeem a triple-points day during the year. Superstar members also have up to 90 days for returns.
Famous Footwear becomes more affordable the more you shop because of its rewards program. If you rarely buy shoes online, that isn’t a selling point. But if online shopping is how you typically buy your shoes, take advantage of the clearance section and rewards program, especially if you can upgrade to Superstar for extra perks.
- Price Range: Under $20 to $150 or more
- Return Policy: You have 30 days to make returns; non-Club O members pay for return shipping; Overstock only provides refunds for defective products (otherwise, expect store credit)
- Shipping: Free U.S. shipping in all states except Alaska and Hawaii
- Verdict: Overstock is worthwhile if you’re willing to check for red tag sales regularly or shop enough to warrant paying for the Club O program
While Overstock doesn’t exclusively sell footwear, there’s no denying that this liquidation titan has affordable prices and an extensive selection.
Overstock carries shoes for adults and kids. Brands include Nike, Adidas, Clarks, Kenneth Cole, Jimmy Choo, Geox, Prada, and Steve Madden. Regular footwear pricing starts under $20 and even includes more expensive categories like boots, running shoes, and heels.
However, in terms of savings, red tag sales are the name of the game. These time-sensitive discounts apply to a range of products, including furniture, kitchen appliances, and footwear. For footwear, you generally find red tag deals between 10% to 30% off. Deals last for 24 hours or less, so it’s worth checking Overstock regularly to see what’s on clearance.
If you’re a serious Overstock shopper, you can also join the Club O program for $19.95 per year. Club O is free for active military members and veterans, first responders, nurses and medical providers, teachers, and students. This loyalty program unlocks:
- Rewards. Earn 5% back on every purchase and redeem reward points for future Overstock purchases.
- Free Returns. As a Club O member, you get free return shipping for in-store credit.
- Price-Match Guarantee. Overstock price-matches with select competitors, including Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond, Hayneedle, and Home Depot. You can price-match up to three products per month and send price-match requests within seven days of your purchase.
- Extra Rewards Store. Earn up to 40% in rewards for shopping in the Club O Extra Rewards Store.
- Double Review Points. Earn double the rewards for writing reviews for your purchases on Overstock.
Paying $19.95 per year probably isn’t worth it if you just buy footwear on Overstock. However, 5% back on major purchases like furniture or appliances could add up.
Overstock currently offers free U.S. shipping to every state except Alaska and Hawaii, in which case shipping costs vary based on your purchase and location. Overstock also ships to 200 other countries with variable shipping rates.
You have 30 days to return unwanted items for store credit, but you pay for shipping unless you’re a Club O member.
As an extra tip, sign up for Overstock’s email the next time you shop to get a 15% off coupon. If you stack this coupon with Overstock’s already low pricing, you can score your next pair of footwear at a serious discount.
- Price Range: Under $25 to $500 or more
- Return Policy: All sales are final unless your order doesn’t match the listing
- Shipping: Buyers pay $7.11 for shipping
- Verdict: Poshmark is best for buying designer shoes at lower prices as long as you don’t mind buying from other people instead of a retailer
Poshmark is a consumer-to-consumer marketplace where you can buy and sell apparel, footwear, home decor, jewelry, and beauty supplies. For sellers, Poshmark is an effective way to make extra cash on gently used pieces in your wardrobe. For buyers, Poshmark is an excellent place to buy sustainable clothing and footwear while staying within your budget.
Clothing is undoubtedly the most popular category on Poshmark. However, plenty of Poshmark sellers list footwear for adults and kids. There’s also a healthy mix of designer and casual brands, including:
- American Eagle
- Dr. Martens
- Jordan (Nike)
- Louis Vuitton
Poshmark lets you search for listings under $25 to find the lowest-priced shoes. If you don’t want to buy used, look for “NWT” (new with tag) listings. These products have never been worn, so you can benefit from Poshmark’s low prices while enjoying new shoes.
For shipping, Poshmark charges a flat rate of $7.11 for buyers. All sales are final, but you can ask for a return within three days of receiving your order if the shoes don’t match the listing.
Ultimately, Poshmark takes some digging to find the right size, brand, and style. However, particularly for designer shoes, you can find some incredible deals on Poshmark, even with the lack of free shipping.
Buying shoes online might seem difficult at first. There’s something reassuring about trying on shoes in a store and giving them a test-walk before spending.
However, if you know your size and avoid common online shopping mistakes, buying online can save you money and time. This trend will only continue as more retailers turn to e-commerce.
Plus, with money-saving browser extensions, you can also earn cash-back rewards and use online coupons to take your savings one step further. For example, the Capital One Shopping extension automatically applies coupon codes at checkout and lets you earn free gift cards for shopping at partner retailers.
Just remember to read return policies carefully to avoid getting stuck with an ill-fitting pair of shoes. Shopping for footwear online takes getting used to, but your wallet will ultimately thank you for making the change.
Capital One Shopping compensates us when you get the browser extension using the links provided.
Published at Thu, 18 Feb 2021 00:27:34 +0000