Roanoke plumbing expert alerts homeowners to risk of frozen pipes
“A burst pipe can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time,” said Ted Puzio, owner of Southern Trust Home Services. “Repairs and replacement of damaged property can cost thousands of dollars, and that’s not counting the time and inconvenience involved or the possible loss of irreplaceable items like photos and family heirlooms.”
A few simple steps, however, can help homeowners prevent frozen pipes:
- Look for leaks: Small air leaks near pipes can cause them to freeze very quickly. Use caulk or insulation to seal any troublesome cracks.
- Wrap exposed pipes: Protect pipes in unheated areas of the house with insulated covering.
- Keep indoor air warm: Lowering the thermostat at night or when you’re away can save utility costs, but maintain a minimum temperature of 55 degrees.
- Pack up outdoor hoses: Disconnect and store outdoor hoses in the winter months and make sure the indoor valve is completely shut off. Make sure hose bibs are completely drained before covering.
- Let faucets drip: When temperatures are expected to drop into single digits or stay below freezing for more than a couple of days, keep bath and kitchen faucets open. A trickle of warm water helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep cabinet doors open: Let the warm indoor air reach pipes under kitchen and bathroom sinks, which often run through exterior walls and are vulnerable to freezing.
If your pipes freeze, immediately call a plumbing expert to unfreeze them before they burst.
“It doesn’t take a lot of effort to protect pipes during the coldest part of the year, but many people put it off,” Puzio said. “Fortunately, frozen pipes can be addressed and unfrozen before disaster strikes, and the advanced trenchless technology that is available now makes inspection and repair easier and more affordable than it used to be.”
For more information about protecting your plumbing from cold weather, or to schedule a professional inspection, call Southern Trust Home Services at (540) 343-4348 or visit www.southerntrusthomeservices.com.
About Southern Trust Home Services
Founded in 1995 as Southern State Electric, Southern Trust Home Services provides residential plumbing, electrical HVAC services, drain cleaning and one day bath remodel services, including 24/7 emergency repairs, to homeowners in more than 60 cities throughout south west Virginia. Roanoke’s first to offer a lifetime guarantee on all recommended repairs, Southern Trust Home Services staffs dedicated, certified, licensed and insured, drug and criminal background checked technicians who provide timely, same-day services for a variety of home repairs, installations, and maintenance. An A Better Business Bureau accredited company since 2006, Southern Trust Home Services has financing available including 0 percent for 18 months, and Lifetime Repair Guarantee on stated repairs. To find out more, call 540-343-4348 or visit www.southerntrusthomeservices.com.
SOURCE Southern Trust Home Services
Published at Tue, 29 Dec 2020 12:04:35 +0000